Starting Over

Starting Over
The Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Pile Committee  Gif - The Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Pile Committee
see more Gifs

About Me

My photo
East Sussex, United Kingdom
I'm a 62yr old AOL refugee, living on the south coast of England. I love travelling and sharing my photos. I live with Nina and Katinka, my two Maine Coon cats.
The WeatherPixie

Saturday, 9 January 2010

Spring cleaning!


I've spent most of today in the bedroom having a spring clean. I know it's not spring yet but I can wish! I couldn't get over to see Andy today as the buses aren't running properly yet due to the snow so I took the opportunity to make a start on cleaning. I've been off work this week with a sinus infection and I'm praying the buses will be able to run on Monday, it'll be a nightmare having to walk two miles to work on this compacted ice. It's been snowing on and off since before midday, almost twelve hours. It was funny when I was working nights; one of the day staff phoned and said in all seriousness "Could you tell me if it'll be snowing in the morning because if it is I won't be able to get to work." I had to bite my lip to stop laughing, how the hell would I know!!
I've only ventured out once this week to go to the chemist to get some tablets for my sinuses. It's only a four minute walk away but it took me twenty five minutes on Thursday! So many people were falling on the pavements and cars on the road were just sliding back down the hill. It's almost impossible to walk on now, quite scary too! Katinka, Nina and I have been tucked away indoors with the heating on, thank God for central heating!
I looked on Amazon for a book I wanted. I've spent twenty or more years looking in bookshops for it! It's called 'First Do No Harm' by J Kenyon Rainer, his autobiography on his years of training to be a brain surgeon. I read an extract of it in Reader's Digest many years ago and always wanted to read it all. I've finally found it on Amazon and it's been shipped out to me, it should be here sometime next week. I also downloaded one of my favourite soundtracks, La Cage Aux Folles from itunes. I've seen the stage show and loved the music but for some reason never bought the CD! It's so easy to find stuff, however obscure on the internet; what did we do before it arrived?! It's ideal for me, I detest shopping, all those crowds and queues!
I still haven't booked a holiday yet, I can't decide where to go and as it's my sixtieth birthday this year I wanted somewhere really special to look forward to. In early June I'm going to Wales, I don't think I told you about my friend did I? She found me on Friends Reunited, we'd been best friends at school since we were five years old until we left grammar school in 1967. We saw each other a few times up until 1970 then she moved and I suppose with us both having young families we lost touch. Well, a year ago she got in contact through Friends Reunited, we've been emailing each other then in August she wrote and asked if I wanted to meet up with her, her daughter lives near Brighton and she was visiting her for a week. I phoned her and invited her here for dinner. She came up, armed to the teeth with flowers, and it was like we'd never been apart! We had a lovely day trying to catch up on forty years worth of news, time just flew past! She lives in an old stone cottage in the middle of nowhere in Wales and has another cottage also in the middle of nowhere which she rents out as a holiday home. She said Andy and I were very welcome to use it in the summer and as we don't drive she'll come down to Brighton and pick us up and drive us there. Each day she'll pick us up from the cottage, take us wherever we want to go and collect us in the evening. Friends like this are rare! Wales is so beautiful, she lives close to Cardigan Bay and I know I'll just love it there. I've been to Wales once, we went camping in the Brecon Beacons which is very wild and beautiful.
We're also planning a trip to Scotland and the Isle of Skye sometime in the summer. I've always wanted to go to the Isle of Skye after learning The Skye Boat Song at school! Lol! The tour goes to Skye, Loch Lomond, Fort William, Inverness and Edinburgh.
The wind's howling outside now, it sounds so cold. I hope Andy got to work OK tonight, he should just be there by now. I always worry about him having to go out in the cold especially after coming back from a hot country like Australia.
I'm off now, I've waffled long enough! Have a good weekend and if you don't have to go out then stay home in the warm!

7 comments:

  1. I am glad that you met up with you old friend. It was nice of her to invite you and Andy to go to her cottage. I hope that bad weather lets up soon. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to find your friend like that ,yes I have been shopping on line too, I love it ...too much perhaps!!! I hope your sinuses are feeling better now lol ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that you are now in touch with your long lost friend. I hope the sinus problem clears up soon for you - I know how painful they can be. You need to get a pair of the Yak Trax or something similar for traction. I wear them around the farm on ice and never slip at all. There have been times I couldn't walk without them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found your book and your friend.
    Sinus infections can make you terribly sick,I was knocked off my feet with it once.
    Oh that cottage vacation sounds lovely.
    Can't wait to see the pics you take there.
    Stay warm and safe....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just dropped by, and I seem to have missed this entry. Hope everything is OK with you both?
    Thanks for your recent comment....all went well, but I've not been too well last couple of days.Will write an update soon.
    How great that you have a friend with a 'cottage', we were in that area last summer, and you will love Scotland. Allan camped on The Isle of Skye (his last Holiday).
    Take care
    Aileen...X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your sinus is much improved by now as your entry was in Jan. My ancestry on my Dad's side is from Wales if I'm correct. I will have to find the notebook on it for an exact location where the family lived in a cottage that still exists called the "Sunshine Cottage". That is great to have a childhood friend inviting you and Andy to stay and visit and have her to take you around sightseeing. It has been a long winter and today it is still cool and rainy. It will be warming up soon. mark/salty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God! we have no more snow here. I think it's very pretty but it's to cold for me. I hate the cold. I rather sweat then frezz lol I also love your maun picture up top.

    ReplyDelete


Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Followers