Starting Over

Starting Over
The Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Pile Committee  Gif - The Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Pile Committee
see more Gifs

About Me

My photo
East Sussex, United Kingdom
I'm a 62yr old AOL refugee, living on the south coast of England. I love travelling and sharing my photos. I live with Nina and Katinka, my two Maine Coon cats.
The WeatherPixie

Sunday, 18 January 2009

Sunday morning entry

Saturday morning.
Brrrr! It's cold out there! The wind's howling and battering the windows and it's been raining on and off for most of the day.I finished my run of night shifts today. It's been very busy but I like it that way ~ makes the time go much faster! As I said in my last entry, I've been sleeping well, eight to nine hours a day, much better than facing the cold dark January days! At least at night you expect it to be cold and dark don't you?! Next week I'm back on day shift, it'll be nice to catch up on all my staff. This morning I got home at 7am, cold, wet and tired but I decided to go out again and get some shopping, Nina and Katinka were almost out of cat food and litter. I had to force myself to go, luckily the supermarket is only a two minute walk from here. I was back indoors by eight o'clock. I got to bed at 10am and set the alarm for three hours later. I didn't want to sleep too long or I'd never sleep tonight. that's the only problem with night work, it's difficult to get back into a routine when the week ends. Funny but working in the other hospital was OK except that I didn't really find my way around, it's a vast site, until last night! I actually found a way to get to the renal and cardiac wards without going outside, there's a honeycomb of tunnels underground to use and I finally managed to navigate them on my last night of working! Still, I'll know next time I cover the night shift! Maybe the gales and torrential rain helped me to find my way without going outside and getting soaked and blown over! A few days ago I had a letter from our travel agents telling us that we need to fill out some forms for our holiday. We start our Caribbean cruise in Miami and apparently the US have decided a visa waiver form isn't enough to gain entry to the States. We have to go to a website and download application forms to be filled in and remitted before we travel. I went to the site and found that I have to pay $49.95 to download the application form. I haven't done it yet but they say that the information you give must be exactly the same as what you put on the visa waiver ~ we still need to fill that in on the plane. It just seems a way of getting more money from us! After this horrible freezing cold winter I can't wait to get to the Caribbean, I've always wanted to go there, it sounds so laid back and wonderful.... palm fringed white sand beaches, gentle breezes, azure blue skies and ~best of all~ heat! A few days ago I thought I'd switched off the heating before I left for work. I came home the next morning and it was so hot indoors, I looked at the central heating switch and saw I'd turned the dial the wrong way, it was on the highest heat! Poor Katinka and Nina, they were both on the kitchen window ledge pressed against the cold glass trying to cool down! Poor souls thought mummy had gone loopy! Like all of you, I can't believe Nina is almost three now, it seems like yesterday I brought her home and took these photos of her on her first day here.






Well, it’s now Sunday morning, I was falling asleep while writing last night so succumbed and went to bed. It’s still wet and windy out there. I got up early to finish this before I go and see Andy, we worked together on Friday night which was nice. I never see him at work now as he only works night-time weekends. He’s in charge of the porters and I’m in charge of the housekeeping and catering side. It’s just about getting light outside now, it’ll be nice to see some daylight again but I want heat and sunshine too, not asking for much am I?! I went out a week ago and bought all my Christmas cards for this year! I’m going to get them written out during the year so I’m not too late to send them! Last Christmas was the first year that I didn’t send any due to working 14hrs a day plus weekend working but thank you to all of you who took the time to send me one, it was very much appreciated. The end of last year was manic so I’m trying not to leave things till the last minute this year. We’re already over halfway through January. We leave for our Caribbean cruise on April 2nd so I need to get that sorted first, it’ll be a joy to be packing sun tops and going to warmer climes!I added some photos of Nina and Katinka to my side bar which is at the bottom of the page as I don’t have a sidebar! I don’t know why they came up so big as it said it’d shrink them when it was uploading them.
Anyway, I’d better get off here now and add this to my journal, I typed it up in Word so I could add to it.
Have a great Sunday and stay warm! I wish I could stay indoors but Andy is expecting me!

10 comments:

  1. Poor kitties getting so hot while you were gone. That sounds like something I would do. I hope you get everything sorted out for you cruise. Have a nice day with Andy. Your kitty pictures were great. Hugs, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have sent some of that spare heat up to poor me with no heating its windy and snowing here today but gas fire is on, rugs on knees and hot water bottles filled. Love Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, look at that precious little Nina when you got her. How tiny she was. It's been frigid here. Sub zero. Warmed up enough to dump a foot of snow again. LOL...I don't blame you for wanting to get on a Carribean cruise. The weather will be lovely then. That's a shame about that VISA. I have a feeling it's all about the money. Glad your work and sleep is going so well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I can remember when that little "mischief maker" came to live with you & Katinka. LOL !! I wonder if Katinka ever looks back and longs for the "good old days?" I am hoping we can take the Mexican Rivera cruise that had to be canceled in October because I got so sick. I'd like to take it in March or April but it's up to Bob because he has to drive us to California. And he's there now with no mention of any cruise. In order to do it, he'd have to come back here, fix the water leak in the camper and then drive back down there with the big truck. But you'll have fun in the sun & it will be a welcome change from the cold icy weather you're experiencing now. Hope you get the sleep needed to get re-adjusted to the day shift....Linda in WA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh I gasped out loud at the pictures of Nina when she was a bay - how gorgeous she is!!! The cute factor is off the charts!!!!

    Ironically our Caribbean cruise was to leave from Miami on April 2 two years ago. We never made it (thank goodness for trip insurance) I had been kicked by my horse and we had to cancel. Wonder if you are taking the same cruise we booked. At any rate, sounds wonderful.

    Too bad you have to pay more money and complete more papers to get rolling though.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the visa does sound a bit of a rip off Jeannette,as if folks don't pay enough to start with for there hols.It will be fantastic though so well worth it I should imagine in the longrun.What super pics of the kitty bless.OH! poor things in all that heat.I bet they thought you had sent them to the Carribbean LOL!!I hope you get a good nights sleep.Yes a new sleep pattern does take some getting used to.Happy you found your route around the hosp too.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my...the thought of the Caribbean is a heavenly one....we have ice, deathly below zero temps and snow snow everywhere. i hate winter!
    I am glad you are turning around your sleeping quickly...it IS very hard to get it all back to normal after working all night. Nina is a beauty!!! You work so hard....so glad you saw Andy....love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Caribbean, now there's an idea, particularly after another force 11 up here lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. See I got here ,getting clever in my old age ,THE CARIBBEAN ,OOOOoo that does sound nice ,and it wont be long before April is here ,nice to work nights and see Andy ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeannette I had missed seeing Nina and Katinka ~ they are two very beautiful Cats ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete


Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Followers