Starting Over

Starting Over
The Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Pile Committee  Gif - The Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Pile Committee
see more Gifs

About Me

My photo
East Sussex, United Kingdom
I'm a 62yr old AOL refugee, living on the south coast of England. I love travelling and sharing my photos. I live with Nina and Katinka, my two Maine Coon cats.
The WeatherPixie

Saturday, 7 February 2009

Cold snowy week and more to come!


I thought it was about time I did an entry an gave an update on Andy.He's doing OK now, the headache lasted for over a week which caused us concern but it's gone now although he still aches more than normal. Maybe that's due to this freezing winter we're all experiencing. He went back to work so hopefully he'll be OK now. It was 21°F when I went out this morning, that's just too cold for anyone! Last night my friend rung to ask if I wanted to go to a local theatre to see a comedy act. I declined, partly because of the weather and mostly because I don't find these new wave comedians funny. I can't stand bad language, I find it really offensive, and I'm afraid most comedians these days rely to heavily on it for laughs. I did see that Ken Dodd was coming to Brighton in June, I want to see him ~ he's one of the old time comedians with genuine talent. I've heard too that he doesn't leave the stage till the audience has gone, sometimes he's stayed till 1am doing the show ~ now that's entertainment! I'm hoping that Andy can get the night off work so that we can go. On Monday we had a lot of snow, it started Sunday afternoon and just carried on through to Monday night. A lot of our staff didn't come into work that day. A few trekked in from out of town which I thought was a bit silly as they'd have to walk home in worse conditions that evening. I walked but it's a little less than two miles for me and I do it every day so I'm used to it. I also walk home every night which was a bit dangerous on Monday but I walked on the road where the cars had cleared it and didn't slip once. One of my staff had an accident. She was almost at work when she fell and landed on her backside, breaking her coccyx. She was in A&E for a while then they wheeled her over to us, we put her into a bed in the day case unit as the operating list was cancelled that day, she's still off sick. Most of the doctors who came into work on Monday stayed overnight in the day case unit as they couldn't get home and wouldn't have been able to get back to work next day. One of them told me it was quite exciting to spend the night on a ward in a childrens hospital! They're all big kids at heart!The snow's gone now but more's forecast for next week. Anyone know a number I can call to cancel it? Lol! I took a few photos on my way to work on Monday, it's quite unusual to see snow laying in the city centre. The top one is of people out sledding in Preston Park, I took it on my balcony with my zoom lens as it's a mile away from here.




This next one I didn't think was that brilliant but somebody on Flickr has commented and thought it was beautiful and wants me to add it to a group!



















I found out this week that Lori from Lori's Letter Box did the cruise in January that I'm doing in April! An amazing coincidence! Andy actually wanted to go on the same date that Lori went but I thought it was too early in the year and we'd come back to cold weather. The change in temperature wouldn't do Andy any good so I'm glad we waited although it would have been nice to have met another fellow journaller while on holiday. I didn't know Lori was doing it back then, it'll be nice to read what she thought of it before we set off.
Work is still hectic with staff off sick and new staff to train. Last Friday they asked if I'd train twenty new staff as nobody else could do it. It took most of my morning and half the afternoon signing traing sheets. I signed my signature 700 times! I also had to stay behind on Wednesday till 10pm to train a new man. He does 2-10pm and couldn't be left alone on his first day. I had to be back at work by 8am next day as the other manager was off sick, I stayed till 8pm that night, I thought twelve hours was long enough! One day everybody is going to come to work and I'll be able to work my own hours and go home! I got a pay rise last week too plus back pay from last April. In this recession it was very welcome! Everything has increased in price and there are so many shops in Brighton that have closed or are having closing down sales. It's sad to see empty shop fronts and all the familiar shop names disappearing into obscurity. While everybody else is shedding employees to cut costs we seem to be taking more and more on.I've been on a diet for a couple of weeks and I've lost nine pounds so far. I'm on Wu Yi tea and acai berries which are meant to speed up your metabolism. I want to lose quite a bit of weight before our holiday. I'm getting off here now, I don't spend a lot of time on the computer these days.Stay warm out there, I hope this awful winter will end soon and we'll see some spring flowers emerging from the frozen ground.

15 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear Andy is doing good and is going to be okay.

    Your pictures are lovely & your town looks like such a beautiful town. Some of the buildings are gorgeous.

    If you find a number to call to cancel the snow please forward it to me. LOL. Sorry you have to deal with a miserable winter too.

    Did you actually sign your name 700 times?? I am amazed you don't have a hand like a claw after that!!!

    Be careful out there!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that Andy is doing better. That snow is beautiful but I don't see how you walked to work and back home without sliding down. That's great on your pay raise. Businesses are closing down all around us here also. You are doing great on that weight loss. Hugs, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeannette, Glad to hear Andy is feeling better. Thank-you for those pictures...It will be so much fun comparing notes on our cruises. Forget about trying to lose the weight..I gave up..and surprisingly I lost a bit on the cruise but wisely only ate till I felt full and then stopped.
    Just got the photos from my girls and as soon as I figure out how to move to my files I will send you a smilebox.
    Just seeing them made me already want to go again...like my girl says how quickly you forget the negative things..

    Love and blessings,

    ALBERTA Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jeannette, it sounds as if you're getting snow like we did in December. However the weather people are saying we could get some snow this next week. We'll see..When I went back to work full time in January 1982, I was working at a small 35 bed hospital. The winter of 1982-83 some of us spent the night a time or two because of snow. I always carred a bag with me, with clean undies, cosmetics and extra clothes that winter just incase. We had a blast...we raided the kitchen, watched TV & played cards. And the next morning it was so easy getting ready for work..just hopped in the shower & dressed, went down to the cafeteria and got breakfast & sat down at our desks. BIG FUN !!!! I hope your snow subsides and whatever you do be careful out there walking. Glad to hear that Andy is feeling better. Gabi's mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS on the weight loss!! So glad Andy is better...and my friend, WOW....you have such NATURAL talent in taking photos...all of them are lovely but the third one from the bottom, of the fence, i'd frame that and put it up in my home. I LOVE your photographs. Congrats on your pay raise too! Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. The snow creates beautiful scenes, Jeannette, but the inconvenience negates that. Glad to hear Andy's better now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that something about the cruise and Lori. What a coincidence that you almost ended up on the same one. Glad to hear Andy is faring better. You really are getting hit with lots of snow in the UK, aren't you? That's really not typical, is it? It's pretty but gets old after a while..lol. WTG with losing the weight. Must be the walking. I managed to lose 2 last week so I'm knocking on wood. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you back with us, I was beginning to get concerned,,,Happy that Andy is feeling better, There has been so much illness around. Hope that cold freezing weather we have had will get rid of some of the bugs.
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jeanette! long time no speakee! I am so sorry to hear Andy has been ill again, but I am sure he will be fine with you to spoil him. I only popped in cos Im missing nina and katinka lol. be back soon, Big hugs, Linda x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news to read Andy is much better Jeannette.The pics are fantastic.Snow snow and more snow,when is this winter going to end I ask you ? How nice someone requested one of your pics for the group.It would have been great to have been on the cruise with Lori.Still I know you and Andy will have the most wonderful holiday.Prayers Andy keeps well.Well done on the weight loss.Take Care God Bless. Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh, gotta love snow. We are expecting snow the next few days. Now, the ground is green lol. Sorry I haven't been here awile. Hope Andy is doing good. Take care and I'll be back. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there,
    I just wanted to stop by the new Blog and see what you've been up to. I see it's been quite cold and snowy there! Hang in there, Spring isn't too far off.

    Good to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Late getting here but I am happy Andy is doing better. Love all the photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear Andy is feeling better.
    Love your winter shots & your music!
    Ü

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Jeannette It is difficult for me post comments these days with my dial-up connection. The page re-loads and I am spending this Saturday letting pages take the hours it takes. During the week I need my phone line open so I am not on the computer much. The snow photo's show so much contrast between the buildings and the snow, making them spectacular. The trees in various stages of contrast, going to misty views, and the tiny little (skaters?) on a lake below it looks like. I enjoyed seeing the cats in their nests. I went to school at the University of the Americas south of Mexico City in 1971. We visited the Caribbean at Isla Mujeris (spelling?)in the Yucatan. I had physical therapy the first of March and the machines improved my back pain as well as my left hip. I will continue doing exercises at home. I am happy that your walking is helping you. I wish Andy the best also. mark/salty

    ReplyDelete


Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Katinka

Katinka

Nina

Nina

Followers